Tuesday 1 March 2011

Welcome

Welcome to my corner of the internet. First, a little about me.  My name is Marcus, I'm studying Engineering, and I'm in my early 20's. 
Already, I hear you asking: "why are you contributing yet another doubtless self indulgent and irrelevant page of text to the already crowded blogosphere?"  A fair question, and one I often ask of others, so I'm going to try and set out my reasons.

Firstly, I'm not a naturally motivated person, and I've noticed myself becoming somewhat stagnant in my interests of late.  Therefore, it seemed to me that one of the best ways of re-lighting my fire would be to write about things that interest me, and hopefully it will be so enjoyable that I'll want to take interest in more things.  Always being wary of doing things simply for the sake of telling the world about it, of course.

Secondly, I've always considered myself to be a reasonable writer, however I recently had an encounter which caused me to question my abilities.  I'm studying a course which doesn't encourage extended writing, and so taking to heart the mantra that 'practice makes perfect' this seems like a perfect antidote.

Thirdly, I've considered it, but never kept a diary of any sort.  Now seems like as good a time as any to start keeping some records.  Since a blog is essentially just a diary in the cloud, I see this as keeping with the times, while performing a timeless practice.  

So, I'll be writing about things that interest me.  It seems very pointless to list my particular interests.  For example, just saying Music is hopelessly vague whilst listing "Avant Garde, Psychadelic, Shoe Gaze, Math Rock, Art Rock, Indie Rock" is ridiculously specific.  Therefore, hopefully by the time people start reading this there will be enough articles to have a theme established.   

So, enough introduction.  Hopefully people will find something of interest on this blog to read about.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment